- Known As: Coastal Rainbow Trout, Silver Trout, Steelie, Hardhead, Iron head
- Average Length: 20-30 in, up to 45 in
- Average Weight: 10-15 lb, up to 40 lb
Winter Run: NOV to JAN
Summer Run: JUN to AUG
- Habitat: Steelheads rely on streams, rivers, estuaries and marine habitat. They spend 1-4 years in their home stream before migrating to the ocean. Returning to spawn, steelhead move upstream from one holding pool to the next, prefering current seams between swifter current and slack water to rest in.
Anadromous: Mature in saltwater, return to freshwater rivers to spawn
Semelparous: Spawns once in life
- Diet: Steelheads will feed upon whatever is available in their environment. Young steelhead feed on zooplankton. Adults feed on insects, crustaceans, mollusks, fish eggs, minnows, and other small fishes.